Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Sermonating

Please scroll down to below my post about "Flickering Pixels" to find my texts as well as initial questions and thoughts.

As I continuing researching, I have found these resources helpful:
www.workingpreacher.org
  • Pastor Harrisville speaks of how Jesus upended people's expectations for a messiah
  • John dampens people's expectations and hopes by talking about the wrath that will incur at judgment
  • we are reminded that every Christian baptism is a baptism of the Holy Spirit. Baptism is not simply a welcoming rite, but also a judgment
  • If Jesus is a common messiah who does what people expect, what need do we have of him? But if he is one who defies expectations and reveals people's need for transformation, then he is someone surprising and filled with meaning
  • prayer in important in Luke's account
The voice from heaven affirms that Jesus is God's Son, and that God is pleased with Jesus-->how does this apply to our own baptisms? Is this true of us as well?
When does the judgment occur?

www.sarahlaughed.net
Thoughts from here coming soon!


3 comments:

  1. Looks like you are off to a great start! Have you checked out www.crossmarks.com/brian? I also think there might be some good things from Confessions that you can relate about baptism. I wonder if you are going to do anything with the "unquenchable fire."

    ReplyDelete
  2. So as of now, I am officially horrible at finding or offering additional internet resources. My feedback is really just a lot more questions. In reading the text, I noticed that 'baptize' is constantly a verb, but we use it quite commonly as a noun (baptism). I wonder if/when that switch happened, and what the significance of that is? Hopefully that's not just irrelevant English-major curiosity.

    My other thought is actually just wondering if you might want to look at a variety of translations on this--BibleWorks is great for that, of course, but I noticed some of our classmates mentioned using Bible Gateway as well. That might be useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a lot to work with Caitlin and you are off to a great start with the work you did with workingpreacher.org. I am especially intrigued by the thought the baptism is a judgement. I think of little babies being baptized and the judgement would include them. How would you get the congregation to see that and theologically understand what judgement in this case means? Is it the same as the other ways we may view judgement?

    ReplyDelete