Thursday, January 7, 2010

Figured out my illustration!

I'm always amazed at how the focus of my sermon never (or very rarely) ends up being what I think (at the beginning of the week) it's going to be. I guess that proves the fact that God's will WILL be done instead of ours...even though we sometimes try to prevent that from happening? I really wanted to run with the power of the elements, but I just couldn't get it to fit together.

But...I had an interesting conversation with my grandmother yesterday about "Avatar" and its special effects, and I think there might be something there. When I read this text, I'm struck by the super-natural aspects of it--baptism by fire? Holy Spirit descending like a dove? This isn't normal stuff (and, yet, we will systematically reply "Glory to you, O Christ"...like it's normal) Of course, I don't want to suggest that God uses "special effects" to get our attention...so I have to figure that out, but I think I'm going to go with this.

On my run this morning, it all made sense. Problem is always that I can't remember it when I'm not running! So we'll see if it can come together.

In other news, I came across this blog today that I really like. http://revgalblogpals.blogspot.com/ Every Tuesday, there's an open discussion about the lectionary texts...kind of like "This week in preaching..." on Facebook (which I also find helpful)

The Revgalblogpals site led me to this "Progressive Involvement" blog which is written by a Lutheran pastor in Colorado, and which also includes lectionary thoughts/reflections.

I have found that I like to read lots of different ideas/thoughts/reflections and then kind of discern my own...especially as the text applies to my context. In a congregation, I would also love to have a Monday or Tuesday morning Bible study using the lectionary texts, where others could offer their reflections and thoughts, which might also provide fodder for my sermon. Depending on the congregation, a blog might be a nice way to solicit feedback/questions throughout the week--and perhaps keep people interested in what your sermon will be! It would also be a good way to get feedback and further questions AFTER you deliver the sermon. I'm thinking about doing this with my congregation this weekend after I preach the sermon.

No comments:

Post a Comment